International business is a dynamic and rapidly evolving field that offers many opportunities for growth and success. Therefore, to thrive in this competitive and complex environment, you need to have the right skills and knowledge. A Post Graduate Diploma in Management in International Business can help you acquire these skills and prepare you for a rewarding career in the global market.
In this blog, we explore the PGDM in International Business program in more detail, to find out the various skills we can learn through this course.
PGDM in International Business: Overview
A PGDM in International Business is a two-year full-time program that covers various aspects of international trade, finance, marketing, strategy, and culture. It also provides exposure to business practices and markets in different regions and countries through case studies, projects, internships, and exchange programs.
For more information about this program at Universal AI University, check the table below.
|Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) in International Business
|Graduation + Entrance Exam
|Merit + Entrance Test + SOPs + LORs
|Accepted Entrance Tests
|CAT, CMAT, GMAT, CET
|Ops and Supply Chain, Operations, Finance, Human Resources, Marketing, Business Analytics, Business Design and Innovation, etc.
|INR 5 – 25 LPA
|Morgan Stanley, Amazon, Boston Consulting Group, JP Morgan Chase, Google, Citibank, Netflix, Facebook, PwC, Adobe, Deloitte, etc.
PGDM International Business Syllabus
Some of the topics that you can expect to study in a PGDM in International Business are:
- International Business Environment: Introduces you to the concepts and theories of international business, as well as the factors that influence the global business environment, such as globalization, regional integration, trade agreements, foreign exchange, etc.
- International Marketing Management: Teaches you how to plan, implement, and evaluate marketing strategies for international markets, as well as how to conduct market research, segmentation, targeting, positioning, branding, pricing, distribution, promotion, etc.
- International Financial Management: Explains how to manage the financial aspects of international business, such as foreign currency transactions, exchange rate risk, hedging, financing, investment, etc.
- International Trade Operations: Covers the practical aspects of international trade operations, such as export-import procedures, documentation, customs clearance, logistics, transportation, insurance, etc.
- Cross-Cultural Management: Helps you understand the impact of culture on international business and how to manage cross-cultural issues and challenges in communication, negotiation, leadership, motivation, ethics, etc.
Skills Developed in a PGDM in International Business
By pursuing a PGDM in International Business, you will develop the following skills:
Communication is the key to any successful business relationship, especially when dealing with people from different backgrounds, languages, and cultures. A PGDM IB will help you improve your verbal and non-verbal communication skills, as well as your intercultural sensitivity and awareness. Among other things, you will also learn how to:
- Adapt your message and style to different audiences, contexts, and situations.
- Overcome barriers and challenges in cross-cultural communication, such as stereotypes and biases.
A global mindset is the ability to think and act globally while being aware of the local nuances and differences. A PGDM in International Business will help you develop a global perspective and outlook, as well as a strategic vision and orientation. You will learn how to analyse and evaluate global:
- Opportunities, and
A global mindset will also enable you to leverage your strengths and resources to create value and competitive advantage in the international market.
Analytical and Problem-solving Skills
International business involves dealing with complex and uncertain situations that require sound judgment and decision-making. A PGDM in International Business Management will help you enhance your analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as your critical thinking and creativity. You will learn how to use various tools and techniques to collect, process, and interpret data and information. The problem-solving skills you’ll learn will probably involve:
- Identifying problems,
- Generating alternatives,
- Evaluating options, and
- Implementing solutions.
Leadership and Teamwork Skills
International business requires working with diverse teams across borders, cultures, and functions. A PGDM in International Business will help you develop your leadership, teamwork skills, emotional intelligence, as well as your interpersonal skills. You will learn how to:
- Motivate a team
- Inspire subordinates
- Influence others
- Collaborate, cooperate, and coordinate with others
- Manage conflicts
- Negotiate effectively
- Handle feedback.
Ethical and Social Responsibility
International business involves operating in different legal, political, economic, and social environments that might pose various ethical and social challenges. A PGDM course in International Business will help you develop your ethical and social responsibility by instilling in you the following principles:
You will also learn how to balance the interests of various stakeholders who technically are always at odds, such as customers, employees, shareholders, suppliers, communities, and the environment.
Top Job Roles With a PGDM in International Business
Let us look at some of the top job roles that you can get with a PGDM in International Business, according to the US Bureau of Labor And Statistics (BLS).
|Business Development Managers
|Analyse industry trends to increase prospective clients and sales.
|Supply Chain Manager
|Manage the end-to-end supply chains of a business, from sourcing to delivery.
|Supervise, plan, and implement all financial operations of a company.
|Global Project Manager
|Supervise, plan, and coordinate various departments and/or teams on projects of a global scale.
|Help businesses analyse and predict risks and advise them on strategies to mitigate them.
(Source: Self-Made with data from BLS)
A PGDM in International Business is a valuable qualification that can equip you with the skills you need to succeed in the global market. It can also open up many career opportunities for you in various sectors and industries, such as consulting, banking, finance, marketing, logistics, manufacturing, IT, tourism, education, healthcare, etc. If you are interested in pursuing a career in International Business or want to know more about it, check out the PGDMs offered by Universal AI University today!
- What skills should I learn for international business?
You can polish basic soft skills like leadership, verbal and written communication, creativity, critical thinking and problem-solving to be successful in International Business.
- Why skills are important in international business?
Various skills like the ones discussed in this blog are absolutely essential in International Business because of the scale of an international operation and the various additional challenges the shift in markets, society, and economic conditions brings to it.
- What is the scope of post graduate diploma in international business?
A Postgraduate diploma in international business has enough scope to get you high-paying jobs in multinational conglomerates in India and abroad, while also opening up research opportunities or higher education or certification opportunities.
- What is and to what purpose do we study international business?
International Business is the study of varying markets in different countries, economies, geo-political situations, socio-cultural environments, etc. and how these are interconnected. We study International Business to understand the relationships between these factors and predict and analyse trends that multinational companies rely on.